4 Canada birding tours, July 2017
- July 3-13 High Arctic & Northwest Territories
- July 5-13 Sable Island Cruise
- July 18-30 Heart of the Arctic Cruise
- July 30-Aug 10 Arctic Safari Cruise
High Arctic & Northwest Territories
Monday, July 3, 2017 to Thursday, July 13, 2017
Tour Duration: 11 days
Tour Price: $6,575 CAD, $5,590 USD
Discount available: $280/person (USD) with coupon
Single Supplement: $750 CAD, $640 USD
• Visit three wonderfully unique and diverse ecoregions – the high Arctic, boreal forest and aspen parkland and potholes
• Amazing wildlife, from shorebirds in superb breeding plumages to jaegers and King Eiders to Yellow-billed Loons, amidst fascinating tundra and taiga habitats
• Great breeding bird and flower photography opportunities
This unique High Arctic birding tour, a perennial favorite, takes in three different areas; the exquisite high Arctic tundra above the Arctic Circle and far north of the tree line, the boreal forest and lakes around Yellowknife, NWT, and the aspen parkland and potholes of Central Alberta. We could encounter a diverse array of birds and mammals, from King Eiders to Pacific Loons, Snowy Owls to Swainson’s and Rough-legged Hawks, Long-tailed and Parasitic Jaegers to Sabine’s and Thayer’s Gulls, and American Bison to Arctic Foxes.
At Cambridge Bay on Victoria Island, Yellow-billed Loons nest on remote lakes, Red-necked and sometimes Red Phalaropes in resplendent summer plumage inhabit ponds, Tundra Swans and Sandhill Cranes enliven the tundra, Stilt and Baird’s Sandpipers give their strange songs, and a scarce nesting species such as Buff-breasted or White-rumped Sandpiper may show up. The area is steeped in history and culture, from explorers searching for the Northwest Passage to the Inuit of the western Arctic. The high quality and exciting wildlife viewing make for a long-remembered tour!